Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Kamry X10 Review

Kamry X10 Protank Clone 4.5ml removable drip tip
The Stats:
  • Brass stoppers and aluminum jacket
  • Poly-carbonate tank (not Pyrex as initially advertised)
  • 5 colors: silver, blue, black, pink and red
  • Bottom coil
  • 510 threaded
  • 4.5ml stated capacity
  • 2.4ohm atomizer


The Review:

The first thing to know about this tank is that it fits Kanger Protank atomizers perfectly.  So my first thought when seeing the X10 was a 4.5ml+ tank that can use the Protank atomizer and has a removable drip tip?  Awesome!  Let's dig in and see how it performs.

Airflow: I filled this thing with 5ml of e-juice comfortably, primed the 2.4ohm atomizer it came with, and gave it a whirl.  Burnt nastiness, almost no airflow.  I didn't expect Kamry's atomizers to be good, but they should at least work.  So I threw in a 2.5ohm Protank atomizer and gave it a whirl.  Burnt nastiness. After much fiddling I figured out that the juice wasn't wicking due to pressure inside the tank.  Perhaps because the tank is so big?  I have no idea, but by unscrewing the base a little bit I was able to get reasonable vapor production... but the burnt wick still tasted like crap.  Now on to my second Protank atomizer and with the right amount of unscrewing on the base I got great vapor production and no burning.

The side effects of this?  Slight leaking from the partially unscrewed base and I was afraid to put it in my pocket for fear it would work itself loose and I'd have 5ml's of liquid down my leg.  What I found after some more testing and fiddling is if you keep it partially unscrewed for ~10 draws you won't burn the wick and you can screw it shut after that.  But after a while you have to unscrew the base to let more air in or it starts to dry fire.  This translates into 2-3 unscrews per 5ml tank for normal usage.

Also, the 510 threading was imperfect on my mods per usual.  For the right amount of airflow it has to be backed off the battery a little bit and the tank becomes wobbly.  Screwed all the way down and the airflow is obstructed.  So I used a modified shorty 510 to 510 connector that I had drilled out so I can screw it all the way down and still get great airflow.  Unlike the Protank, the Mini Protank base does not screw into the X10 to fix this problem.

Vapor Production: After learning how to handle the airflow on this tank I put back in the stock Kamry atomizer and dealt with the taste to see how the vapor production was.  Not great.  It worked, but was not as much vapor production or as clean of a draw as with the Protank atomizer.  I would use it as a way to test the airflow and after you figure it out, toss the the stock atomizer.

With the Protank atomizer it draws very similarly to the Protank, cool air and clouds at the right voltage/wattage.  I don't think tank construction has much to do with the quality of the vapor, but certainly with airflow and how well it functions.

Look and Feel:  I really like how this thing is the same width as most mods, which gives it a very streamlined look.  When I first picked it up I was surprised to feel how heavy it was, particularly since it's not Pyrex.  The mouthpiece feels a little strange when you draw on it because of the lip on the top of it, but it's removable and replaceable so not a huge concern.  The threading on the base of the tank wasn't great, which further scared me when loosening it for proper airflow.

The Tip:

Get protank atomizers and use the stock one to test the airflow because it's possible you will burn wicks if you just screw it closed and vape.  Also, you don't have to loosen the threading on the base too far to let air in, just couple millimeters was enough on my unit.  Find the balance, and screw it shut after a little while and it should work fine for a bit.

Conclusion:

Solid looking and feeling tank, that has some major airflow issues.  If you want a huge capacity tank that is less than half the cost of a protank (from Fasttech here) and can deal with dry hits, loosening the base, and possibly leaking fluid then this is for you.  I used it for about two weeks and did get better at fiddling with it to get the airflow right, but I was constantly concerned about juice leaking (which happened 2-3 times) so it is now retired and I'm back to the Protank, even if I have to refill it more often.  Rating: 2.5/5 stars.  Too many problems and clearomizers should not require a learning curve.

Kamry X10
Reviewed by Vaping Nerd on Oct 16 2013
Rating: 2.5

1 comment:

  1. Great details here, better yet to discover out your blog which is fantastic. Nicely done!!! aspire nautilus

    ReplyDelete